January 17, 2020
United Way of Hernando County
Angie Bonfardino Walasek, Executive Director
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
HERNANDO COUNTY HAS BEEN AWARDED FEDERAL FUNDS
UNDER THE EMERGENCY FOOD AND SHELTER PROGRAM (EFSP) PHASE 36 STATE SET-ASIDE FUNDS
Spring Hill, FL – January 17, 2020- Hernando County has been awarded $21,728 to supplement Emergency Food and Shelter Programs in the county. The selection was made by a National Board that is chaired by the Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency. The award amount is based on the average number of unemployed individuals in our area, the total number of individuals below the poverty line and the jurisdiction’s total population.
A Local Board made up of representatives from American Red Cross, Salvation Army, Catholic Charities, Local Government, Ministries, the Jewish Community, and United Way of Hernando County will determine how the funds are to be granted to Hernando County organizations. These funds are to be distributed to supplement and expand ongoing efforts to provide shelter, food and supportive services for Hernando’s hungry, homeless, and residents in economic crisis. The Local Board is responsible for the process and recommendation of agencies who will receive EFSP funds and any additional funds under this program.
Under the terms of the grant from the National Board; local agencies chosen to receive funds must:
1) have demonstrated the capability to deliver emergency food, shelter, or utility assistance programs
2) be private voluntary non-profits or units of government
3) have an accounting system
4) practice non-discrimination
5) if they are a private voluntary organization, they must have a voluntary board 6) it is strongly recommended that applicants be listed on the Mid Florida Information Network system or willing to participate (Local Board recommendation)
Applications are now available. Agencies interested in applying for EFSP Phase 36 Program funds may:
- Email a request to Finance@UnitedWayHernando.org
- Pick up an application at the United Way of Hernando County office located at 4028 Commercial Way, Spring Hill, FL 34606 (Office hours are 9:00am-5:00pm Monday-Friday) Phone: 352-688-2026
Completed applications are to be submitted to United Way of Hernando County via mail or drop-off. The deadline for application submission is February 14, 2020 by 5:00pm. Considered applicants will be contacted after February 24, 2020 for further instructions.