Reasons Why YOU Should Become a VITA Volunteer
Interested in helping your community?
Attend a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) training class to become IRS certified for tax season! Behind every return there is a story. Volunteers hear these stories and experience first-hand how they are making a difference every time they volunteer. Greeters, tax preparers and quality review volunteers appreciate how their specific role contributes to these families’ financial stability. All volunteers receive free training conducted by the IRS. Fill out a Lend a Hand Hernando Volunteer Application today! Specify that you are interested in VITA and you will be contacted by a representative with more information.
Here are REASONS why you should become a VITA Volunteer:
1. You don’t need prior experience. You’ll receive specialized training and can serve in a variety of roles. You can even help those who do not speak English if you are fluent in another language.
2. The IRS provides free tax law training and materials. You’ll learn how to prepare basic tax returns and learn about tax deductions and credits that benefit eligible taxpayers. These include credits such as the Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit and Credit for the Elderly.
3. The volunteer hours are flexible. Volunteers generally serve an average of three to five hours per week. The programs are usually open from mid-January through the tax filing deadline in April. A few sites are open all year.
4. VITA sites are located in communities throughout the nation. Sites are often set up in neighborhood centers, libraries, schools, shopping malls and other similar places. The programs offer free tax preparation and free electronic filing for both federal and state tax returns.
5. Tax Professionals (Enrolled Agents and Other Tax Return Preparers) can earn Continuing Education Credits when volunteering as a VITA instructor, quality reviewer or tax return preparer.
6. As a volunteer, you’ll join a program that’s helped millions of people file tax returns at no charge for more than 40 years. Your help will make a difference. It’s people helping people. It's that simple.
Save money and avoid hidden fees
This free tax preparation is available to those who:
- have a low-to-moderate income (generally, $66,000 and below)
- have no rental property or farm income
- must have picture ID and Social Security Card(s)
- Social Security Card(s) or statement from Social Security Office for all listed on return (copies accepted)
- may have a small Schedule C-EZ (expenses $10,000 or less and no net loss)
Residents may be eligible to receive the EARNED INCOME TAX CREDIT WORTH up to $6,143