June 5, 2020
EFSP ADMIN - United Way of Hernando County
Angie B. Walasek, Executive Director
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
HERNANDO COUNTY HAS BEEN AWARDED FEDERAL FUNDS UNDER THE EMERGENCY FOOD AND SHELTER PROGRAM
PHASE 37 AND PHASE CARES
Spring Hill, FL – June 5, 2020- Hernando County has been awarded a total of $154,050 to supplement Emegency Food and Shelter Programs (ESFP) in the county through Phase 37 and Phase CARES (Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security). The award was made by a National Board that is chaired by the Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency. The award amount is based on the average number of unemployed individuals in our area, the total number of individuals below the poverty level and the jurisdiction’s total population.
- PHASE 37 Total Award: $63,507.00
Spending begins: 1/1/2020 & Spending ends: 5/31/2021
- PHASE CARES Total Award: $90,543.00
Spending begins: 1/27/2020 & Spending ends: 5/31/2021
Both Phase applications will be released, applied for, and awarded separately. A Local Board made up of representatives from American Red Cross, The Salvation Army, Catholic Charities, Local Government, Ministries, the Jewish Federation, Mid Florida Homeless Coalition, and United Way of Hernando County will determine how the funds are to be granted to Hernando County organizations. These funds are to be distributed to supplement and expand ongoing efforts to provide shelter, food and supportive services for Hernando’s hungry, homeless, and residents in economic crisis. The Local Board is responsible for the process and recommendation of agencies who will receive EFSP funds and any additional funds under this program.
Under the terms of the grant from the National Board; local agencies chosen to receive funds must:
- Be a 501(c)3 non-profit agency in good standing with the IRS
- Have at least a minimum of one year of operations, providing services in the field they are applying for
- Have demonstrated the capability to deliver the following: served meals, other food, mass shelter, other shelter, rent/mortgage assistance, or utility assistance
- Have the ability to maintain and submit comprehensive reports with supporting backup documentation (including backdated reports)
- Have the ability to operate on a reimbursable basis
- Be private voluntary non-profits or units of government
- Have a reliable accounting system
- Practice non-discrimination
- Have a voluntary board if they are a private voluntary organization
- Attend the EFSP Virtual Workshop on Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 9:30AM. This is required for new applicant agencies and strongly recommended for existing LROs (Local Recipient Organizations). RSVP and gain access by emailing Angie@UnitedWayHernando.org
- It is strongly recommended that applicants be listed on the Mid Florida Information Network system or willing to participate (Local Board recommendation)
Separate Phase applications are now available. Agencies interested in applying for EFSP Phase 37 and/or Phase CARES program funds may email a request or additional questions to Angie@UnitedWayHernando.org.
Completed applications are to be submitted to United Way of Hernando County via mail or drop-off. The deadline for application submission is July 10, 2020 by 5:00pm. Considered applicants will be contacted after July 15, 2020 for further instructions.